Who We Are: Established in 1911, James Posey Associates (JPA) is a mechanical, electrical, plumbing (MEP), fire protection (FP) engineering design and commissioning firm located in Baltimore County, Maryland. As a small business, JPA has maintained important relationships throughout its 110-year history and expanded its clientele throughout the Maryland, Virginia, and Washington DC area. Our portfolio includes a wide variety of projects in the education, government, medical, research, critical-operations, historic, and cultural market sectors, including many iconic facilities with high-profile clients. Our firm embraces progressive engineering technologies, LEED and sustainable design principles, and promotes full project collaboration through Building Information Modeling (BIM) and project management strategies.
Whether student, entry level, or seasoned, JPA is committed to mentoring and professional development aimed at assisting talented staff achieve their professional goals. The company structure fosters an environment for employees to grow at their pace. Opportunities to succeed with JPA, coupled with the firm’s collaborative environment, social stewardship, and attractive benefit package, contribute to JPA’s long history of successful staff retention.
What We’re Looking For: JPA is currently seeking a highly motivated on-site Field/Construction Engineer with strong communication skills and engineering background. The ideal applicant is an experienced, registered professional engineer with seven or more years of engineering experience, including project management. The applicant will work on-site directly with one of the firms most important clients, enforcing contract documents, reviewing installed work, responding to contractor requests for information, and other similar construction administration tasks. The ideal candidate should possess the following and the skill to perform the following tasks:
- Bachelor or Master degree(s) in Mechanical, Electrical, or Architectural Engineering (preferred, but not required)
- 7+ years of engineering experience with mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems for institutional buildings
- PE licensure (preferred, but not required) or minimum 15 years of construction experience
- Working knowledge of contract documents, including ability to review, understand and interpret contract drawings, specifications, supplemental instructions, proposed changed orders, and similar contract mechanisms
- Ability to review contractor proposed change orders for scope and overall reasonableness
- Ability to perform punch-list activities which include identifying items requiring the contractor’s attention, and back-check of found items to assure completion
- Ability to act as a resource to design staff to review site issues and identify possible solutions to coordination items
- Proficiency and experience in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, and commonly-used engineering software packages
- Ability to self-manage
- Professional work ethic and strong desire to work as part of a multi-discipline design team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong client relation capabilities
- Problem-solving, decision-making, analytic, and project management skills
- Progressive, energetic, and positive work attitude to contribute to and excel in a team environment.
JPA’s competitive compensation and benefits package include:
- Competitive salaries, including paid overtime;
- Performance-based bonus;
- Health, vision & dental insurance (employee & family/dependent plans);
- Generous company-funded 401(k) profit sharing retirement plan;
- Paid holidays (8) & personal time off;
- Mentoring & individual professional development plans – networking events, seminars, and training;
- Tuition reimbursement plan;
- Short- & long-term disability insurance;
- Flexible spending account;
- Community engagement, environmental stewardship & social events;
- Free on-site parking & gym amenities.
Please forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.