Brandywine River Museum of Art
Brandywine Conservancy: Chadds Ford, PA
JPA provided MEP/FP services to conduct a visual survey of the existing conditions of this re-purposed 19th-century grist mill. Situated on the Brandywine River, this museum is home to an outstanding collection of American art and renowned for its holdings of the Wyeth family of artists. The original mill dates from 1864, and the construction of the 70,000-SF museum took place in three major phases from 1970 to 2004. The comprehensive survey was related to building envelope, building structure, lighting needs, and MEP systems, with special consideration to life cycle costs and ground floor flooding during storms. The study involved the library and archives, gallery space, museum shop, restaurant, curatorial, art storage, administration, and utility spaces. The final report detailed each structure’s conditions, with immediate and long-term recommendations for necessary remediation.