Seminary Ridge Museum
Adams County Historical Society: Gettysburg, PA
This $9M project rehabilitated and converted the historic Schmucker Hall into a state-of-the-art visitor center and Civil War museum. Constructed in 1832, Schmucker Hall was the first building at the Lutheran Theological Seminary, which is the oldest and most historic seminary of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the 25,000-SF building originally housed lecture rooms, library, assembly room, and dormitory. During the Civil War, the building was used as a field hospital for troops of both armies. Since 1961, it has been the headquarters of the Adams County Historical Society. Officially reopened on July 1, 2013 – 150 years to the day after the Battle of Gettysburg began – the renovated facility now features a series of interactive exhibit galleries and educational programming to honor and preserve the pivotal role this battle played in shaping American society, both during and after the Civil War.
The renovated building uses a ground-source geothermal heating and cooling system, with the borehole field installed under the adjacent parking lot and driveway areas. A series of water source heat pumps located in the basement and attic areas was designed, utilizing the existing fireplaces as a pathway for new ductwork systems. Ventilation is provided through a dedicated outdoor air system, carefully concealed below the building’s front porch. JPA engineers designed all new electrical systems, museum quality lighting, and power distribution equipment, including a new onsite generator to serve the fire pump and other life safety devices.
Photos © Alain Jaramillo Architectural Photography
Architect: Murphy & Dittenhafer Inc