Fred Lazarus IV Center
Maryland Institute College of Art: Baltimore, MD
This expanded and renovated Graduate Center for Maryland’s only higher education institution devoted strictly to the arts is located in Baltimore’s Station North Arts District. JPA provided mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection engineering services for each of the center’s two connected buildings: the Graduate Studio and the 1801 Falls Road building. The Graduate Studio was originally built in the early 1900s as home to Morgan Millwork Company. New programmed components included work and fabrication spaces; shared galleries; lecture hall and meeting rooms; lounges and public café; and studios for painting, mixed-media, and photography. JPA designed a fast-track concept for the complete replacement of the existing mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems, allowing for a six-month overall construction timeframe.
The project at 1801 Falls Road converted an adjacent Morgan Millwork Company building to MICA’s sculpture school. The renovated 33,000-SF, 3-story building now contains office and classroom space, along with a sculpture studio, wood shop, and metal working area. Originally built around the turn of the 20th century, the building required extensive structural upgrades. Similar to the Graduate Studio, a complete replacement of the existing mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection systems was required. New systems were designed supporting an open floor plan with exposed structure and included specialized systems supporting paint spray booth, welding shop, and wood fabrication, complete with dust collection. A building-wide lighting control system regulated by occupancy sensors was designed to provide two lighting levels for each studio space. In 2015, this project was presented with a Historic Preservation Award for Adaptive Reuse & Compatible Design by Baltimore Heritage.
Graduate Studio Photos © Patrick Ross Photography
Architect: Cho Benn Holback + Associates Inc.
1801 Falls Road Photos © Karl Connolly Photography
Architect: Ziger/Snead Architects