Carey Hall Upper School Renovation and Addition

Gilman School: Baltimore, MD

The 68-acre Gilman School campus is anchored by Carey Hall, the oldest building on campus. Built in 1920, Carey Hall houses the upper school in addition to Centennial Hall, the Gilman Room and the Edward R. Fenimore, Jr. Memorial Library. The $25 million project consisted of interior renovations of all four levels of the original 67,300-SF building, and construction of a three-story addition totaling 58,000-SF. The renovated building provided enhanced and enlarged classrooms, offices, library, common spaces, and art studios and a gallery. The addition created new classroom and office spaces, as well as a theater, 400-seat cafeteria and kitchen, bookstore, woodshop, and health center – all located under a vegetative green roof.

The new addition and renovated building are served from a new 5400 MBH central heating plant and 450-ton chilled water plant. Central plant equipment was separated throughout the building to take advantage of available space within both the existing building and new addition.

Photos © Alain Jaramillo Architectural Photography

Architect: Ziger/Snead Architects

Ready to begin your next project?
GET THE CONVERSATION STARTED: CONTACT US